Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Poem/Book Visualization Final






My concept for this book changed completely from what I had thought of when beginning this project. I originally wanted to go with a book in a rose shape and to write a stanza of the poem on individual petals in the flower, but the more I read the poem and after receiving feedback from my classmates I realized that it wasn't the proper direction to take. This poem is about love, but even so it's more about wanting that special type of love and not having it, and that longing for that love. I think the poem is more somber than anything, and since a rose is a symbol of love I would have been contradicting the poem if I had done the rose book. I ended up going with a diary, because when you think about it most of the diaries that are written by girls focus on this very topic: love. Whether it be falling in love, having a crush or so on that is usually the foundation of most diaries, and when you think about the majority of movies and music that influence us are about love too. I thought using a diary approach would be a good way of getting my idea across of telling the story of a young girl or woman who wants to have that loving experience and is longing for it, and what she imagines this love that she wants would be like. I wanted to get the sadness from this poem across also, which is one of the main reasons that I used teardrops and petals from what should wilted roses. You get the sense from the poem that this girl is sad in waiting for this love to come along, or maybe even got out of a bad relationship and learning from her previous relationship what she really wants in her future relationships, it can be interpreted many ways. I think with the roses also it can be seen as symbolic, where a full blooming rose is seen as love these rose petals can be considered dead or detached from the full rose symbolizing either lost love or not having love. I really enjoyed doing this project and making this book, I'm hoping to maybe even do more with it in my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment