Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dia: Beacon Field Trip

I really enjoyed the trip we took to Dia: Beacon the other day. I had never been there so it was a new experience for me. I was surprised at the range of different artworks they had, and it was different from most museums I had been to. I liked the fact that it wasn't an actual museum, but rather a large studio building that had been put into use as a museum, it gave it more of an artsy feel I thought. I enjoyed Robert Smithson's piece "Map of Broken Glass". It was so beautiful, the hue of the glass was almost a robin's egg blue and it was very shiny and I wanted to touch the piece so bad, even though I knew it was made out of broken glass. It reminded me of a mineral rock you would find in a mining museum gift shop. The piece I had the most fun with though was Richard Serra's "Torqued Ellipse" series. My friends and I ran around on the inside which was a lot of fun! It was really neat to see and run around in a piece that I've learned about in several of my classes. Dan Flavin's work with the fluorescent lights I thought was very unique and I liked taht I got a chance to see his work up close because I have to do a presentation and paper on him for my Conceptual Art class. Another highlight of my trip was getting to sit on those ridiculously comfortable couches while viewing Andy Warhol's work. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment